Okra or bhindi is one favourite veggie of kids after potatoes. This recipe is very simple and easy to prepare and goes well as a side dish with rice and phulka. Okra is known to have good folate content. It prevents constipation, sunstroke, colon cancer and controls obesity.
Preparation Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Bhindi 1/2 kg
- Onions 3 medium, ground to paste
- Ginger 1 inch
- Green Chillies 2
- Turmeric 1/2 tsp
- Chilli Powder 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder 2 tbsp
- Fennel Seeds Powder 2 tbsp, coarsely ground
- Oil 4 tbsp
- Besan or Gram Flour 2 tbsp
- Amchoor Powder 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ajwain or Carom Seeds 1 tsp
- Wash, dry, trim the heads and make a long slit on bhindi. Keep aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan. Add onion paste and fry till raw aroma of onion goes off.
- Add ginger-green chilli paste and fry for two minutes.
- Now add turmeric, corriander, fennel, chilli powder and fry for a minute. Sprinkle little water in between so that the masalas don’t burn.
- Last, add besan, salt and amchoor powder. Roast well.
- Remove from the pan, keep aside and let it cool.
- Fill this stuffing in the cavities of bhindi.
- Again heat two tablespoon of oil and temper with carom(ajwain) seeds.
- Add the bhindis and some salt. Cover with a lid and cook till they are soft.
- Once they are soft, remove the lid and roast till they look well fried.