Sardai is a traditional drink served during summers in North India and Pakistan. It is a creamy cold drink made with nuts and spices. Its a must have treat for holi. You can beat the heat with a cool glass of sardai as it has a cooling effect on your body. It is enriched with protein, vitamin and fiber. It is also paired with bhaang and is associated with Lord Shiva.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minut
- Milk 150 ml, chilled
- Water 150 ml
- Sugar 3 tbsp, or to taste
- Almonds 10, soaked and peeled
- Khus khus 1 tbsp
- Magaz (water melon seeds) 1 1/2 tsp
- Peppercorns 5 – 7
- Cardamom 1
- Soak khus khus, magaz, peppercorns and cardamom for thirty minutes in some water.
- Drain and grind the khus mixture along with the blanched almonds to a very fine paste, using some water.
- Add the remaining water to the paste, strain and squeeze well through a cotton cloth.
- Add milk and sugar to the above liquid mixture and mix well.
- Garnish with slivered pistachios and crushed peppercorns and serve chilled.