Sandesh is a sweet treat that can be made in a matter of few minutes. It is one of West Bengal’s most popular desserts. Sandesh is made with chhena and sugar along with any kind of flavour or essence you like. Here khoya is also added to enhance its taste. Each bite of this dessert is an experience to savour and make you long for another serving.
Promotional Note – Visit my page to see reviews/feedback on my kitchen products/tools, click here -> ‘My Kitchen Products‘
- Milk 2 litres
- Vinegar 5 tsp
- Sugar 1/2 cup, powdered
- Rose Water 1 1/2 tsp
- Elaichi 2, crushed (optional)
- Khoya 1/4 cup
- Pistachios 4-5, chopped
- Boil milk in a deep vessel, wait for 3-5 minutes, add the vinegar.
- As soon as the milk completely curdles, immediately strain the milk in a cloth placed on a strainer and rinse the paneer under running water.
- Collect the cloth together with the paneer and discard the whey. Squeeze out all the liquid completely and keep heavy object over it. Keep it aside for atleast one hour.
- Now transfer the paneer in a plate and mash it until smooth and soft. It takes around 5-6 minutes.
- In a deep kadhai, add paneer, sugar, rose water and khoya. The mixture will become gooey.
- Roast till it dries up a little and starts leaving the sides. Do not overdo or else it will become grainy and you won’t be able to mould them.
- Divide the the mixture into equal size balls. Shape them when they are still warm by either using moulds or simply flatten them lightly on your palm to make pedas.
- Press pistachios in the centre, refrigerate for an hour to set them well and serve.