Raw Papaya and Green Peas Pulao is a mildly spiced rice dish prepared by cooking rice with grated raw papaya and green peas. Its a comfort one pot satisfying meal great for weight watchers. As the rice cooks in milk, papaya just melts into it leaving behind a wonderful flavor and nutrition. Raw papayas are rich in vitamins, enzymes and phytonutrients. Green peas are a very good source of Vitamin K, manganese, dietary fiber, Vitamin B, copper, Vitamin C, phosphorus and folate.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Rice 1 1/2 cup, soaked for half an hour
- Raw Papaya 3 cups, grated
- Green Peas 1 cup
- Onion 1, sliced
- Ginger 1/2 inch, grated
- Milk 1 1/2 cup
- Water 1 3/4 cup
- Mustard Seeds 1/2 tsp
- Chana Dal 1 tsp
- Urad Dal 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves 2 sprigs
- Green Chillies 2 or more, slit length wise
- Turmeric 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Ghee 2 tbsp(optional)
- Heat oil in a deep vessel, add mustard and let it crackle. Now add chana and urad dal and saute till they turn light brown.
- Add green chillies and curry leaves. Saute till they give nice aroma.
- Add onions, ginger and fry till they turn brown.
- Add green peas and saute for a while. Add rice and again fry for 3-4 minutes.
- In another pan, mix water, salt and milk.
- Once it is hot, pour it over the rice.
- Cover it with a lid and cook till rice is done.
- Drizzle some ghee and team up with masala curd and hot pickle.