Pithi Puri is a North Indian delicacy that can be served both for breakfast as well as main course. They are delicious and crunchy to eat. Preparation style is quite different from those of other puffed breads. Urad dal is mixed with rava and various spices, smeared on the rolled puris and deep fried. Team up with fried mirchi, pickle and potato curry (I prepared Mathura Ke Dubki Wale Aloo) and enjoy this savoury street snack.
Promotional Note – Also, visit my page to see reviews/feedback on kitchen products/tools, click here -> ‘My Kitchen Products‘
Preparation Time: 2 hours
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 6 Puris
- Wheat Flour 3/4 Cup
- Urad Dal 2 tbsp, soaked for 2 hours
- Rava 3/4 tsp
- Ginger 1/2 inch
- Green Chillies 1 or 2
- Fennel Seed Powder 1/2 tsp
- Ajwain (Carom Seeds) 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Flakes 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Knead together wheat flour, pinch of salt and two teaspoon oil. Keep it aside for half an hour.
- In a blender, grind together urad dal, ginger and green chilli. Do not add water while grinding.
- Add fennel seed powder, red chilli flakes, ajwain, salt and rava to make a thick paste.
- Smear the above paste on the rolled puris.
- Deep fry the puris, with dal surface facing down.
- Flip and fry other side also.
- Serve with pickle, fried chillies and potato curry.