Panchratna dal is packed with nutrition of five kinds of lentil. They are nicely balanced with spices, tomatoes and curry leaves. This is a classic north indian dish prepared in almost every household. Pair it up with rice or chapathi or you can even have it like a soup.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Yellow Moong Dal 1 tbsp
- Black Masoor Dal 1 tbsp
- Arhar/Tuar Dal 1tbsp
- Chana Dal 1 tbsp
- Urad dal (without skin) 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp
- Clove 2-3
- Cinnamon Stick 1/2 inch
- Ginger 1/2 inch, grated
- Curry Leaves few
- Red chilli 1 or 2, as per your taste
- Green Chillies 1 or 2, as per your taste
- Tomatoes 2
- Garam Masala Powder 1 tsp
- Juice Of Half Lemon
- Corriander Leaves 1 tbsp
- Oil /ghee 1 tbsp
- Soak chana and masoor dal for 1 hour.
- Boil together all the five lentils in a pressure cooker. After first whistle, simmer the gas and cook for another 7-8 minutes.
Allow it to cool in a natural way.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard, cumin, clove and cinnamon.
- Once they stop crackling, add ginger, green chilli, red chilli and curry leaves.
- Now add tomatoes with some salt to cook them fast. Add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Pour this tempering over the cooked dal.
- Cover the dal with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add corriander leaves and lemon juice.Serve hot.