This is a spicy chutney with chilli, onion, rai dal and tamarind. Its a very simple and delicious chutney and can be served as a side dish. The tamarind and chillies make it simply irresistable and the rai dal lends a little bit achaari flavour to the chutney. Its a perfect condiment to be served with kachoris and parathas.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minute
Servings: 620 g
- Onion 1/2 kg
- Garlic 50 g
- Ginger 25 g
- Tamarind 100 g, soaked and pulp extracted
- Red Chilli Powder 7 g
- Rai Dal 13 g
- Turmeric 2 g
- Mustard Oil 200 ml
- Hing 5 g
- Glacial Acetic Acid 1/2 tsp
- Sodium Benzoate 3.5 g (optional)*
- Salt to taste
- In a blender, grind together onion, ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
- Take mustard oil in pan and add onion, ginger and garlic paste.
- Fry on medium flame till fat separates.
- Add rai dal, salt, hing, turmeric and red chilli powder. Fry for a minute.
- Add tamarind pulp and fry again till oil separates.
- Remove from fire and add glacial acetic acid. Store in an air tight jar.
*Sodium Benzoate is added if it has to be stored for more than a month. Otherwise, glacial acetic acid is enough for preserving the chutney.