This spicy lip smacking Indian mix vegetable pickle is made by combining different vegetables like carrot, cauliflower, turnip, cabbage, green peas, lotus stem, amla, raw mango, jack fruit etc., depending on one’s choice and availability of the vegetables. Vegetables are first blanched and then tempered with different spices. Blanching helps in preservation of the pickle. Rai dal, on combining with oil and salt produces lactic acid which in turn acts as a preservative. In the end, glacial acetic acid is also added which again helps in preservation.
Preparation Time: 8-10 hours
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 500 g
- Cabbage 3/4 cup, finely chopped
- Cauliflower 3/4 cu, cut into small pieces
- Carrot 1 small, cubed
- Green peas 1/2 cup
- Amla 3, sliced
- Raw Mango 1/2, cut into small pieces
- Turnip 1 small, cut into small pieces
- Jackfruit 2 slices, cubed
- Oil 200g
- Haldi 12 g
- Rai Dal 15 g
- Kalonji (nigella seeds) 3 g
- Chilli Powder 10 g
- Jeera Powder 5 g
- Methi 3 g
- Black Pepper powder 2 g
- Garam Masala Powder 5 g
- Ginger 12 g
- Garlic 5 g
- Onion 50 g
- Glacial Acetic Acid 5 ml (1 tsp)
- Take a deep vessel, fill it half with water and let it boil.
- Tie all the vegetables in a cloth to make a pouch and drop it in the boiling water. Cook on high high flame for 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer the pouch in a strainer, open it and remove the cloth. Wash the vegetables under running water to stop further cooking.
- Spread them over a dry cloth and let them dry for 8-10 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan, add nigella, ginger, garlic and onions. Fry till they give nice colour.
- Add all the dry spices and fry for few seconds. Switch off the flame.
- Mix in all the vegetables and add glacial acetic acid. Again cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Switch off the flame, let it cool and store them in an air tight container.