Malai Chop is a traditional Bengali dessert that is made with chhena and has a delectable taste of cream. No celebration is complete without this. This wonderful sweet is definitely Bengal’s sweetest gift to the world.
Promotional Note – Also, visit my page to see reviews/feedback on my kitchen products/tools, click here -> ‘My Kitchen Products‘
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
- For the Base
- Cow’s Milk 2 litres
- Vinegar 5 tsp
- Sugar 300 g
- Water 600 ml
- Elaichi 2(optional)
- For the Malai
- Paneer 1 cup
- Fresh Cream 1/2 cup
- Castor or powdered sugar 3 tbsp
- For Garnishing
- Kesar few strandes(soaked in milk)
- Pistachios 7-8, slivered
- Boil milk in a deep vessel, wait for 3-5 minutes, add the vinegar.
- As soon as the milk completely curdles, immediately strain the milk in a cloth placed on a strainer and rinse the paneer under running water.
- Collect the cloth together with the paneer and discard the whey. Squeeze out all the liquid completely and keep heavy object over it. Keep it aside for atleast one hour.
- Now transfer the paneer in a plate and mash it until smooth and soft. It takes around 5-6 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls and mould them into cylindrical shapes.
- For making the sugar syrup, take around 220 g of sugar, elaichi and required quantity of water in a pressure cooker.
- Once the sugar is completely dissolved and the syrup starts boiling, drop the paneer cylinders. If the cooker is small, this step can be done in two batches. Fix the lid and wait for the whistle.
- After the first whisle, simmer and cook for another five minutes. Switch off the flame. Allow it to cool naturally.
- Now open the lid and transfer them to a bowl. If making in two batches, repeat step 7 and step 8. Add the remaining sugar and bring it to boil. Let it cool and then pour it over the paneer cylinders. Never pour hot syrup on them.
- Soak them in the syrup for atleast two hours. Take them out and cut them horizontally into two pieces.
- For the malai, take a grinder and blend together paneer, fresh cream and sugar.
- Apply this prepared malai on the paneer cylinders and garnish them with milk soaked saffron and slivered pistachios.