This Green Mango Chutney is another version of my previous post Green Mango Chutney 1. This chutney is soaked and cooked in sugar syrup and is tempered with panch phoran (cumin, mustard, nigella, fennel and fenugreek) in the end. Panch phoran spices are freshly roasted and crushed to a coarse powder that lends a tangy and spicy flavour to the chutney.
Preparation Time: 1 1/2 hour
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Raw Mangoes 2 1/2 cups, cubed
- Sugar 3/4 cup
- Cumin 1/4 tsp
- Mustard 1/4 tsp
- Nigella 1/8 tsp
- Fenugreek 1/8 tsp
- Fennel 1/4 tsp
- Red Chillies 2
- In a bowl, take sugar and water, mix till sugar dissolves completely. Soak mango pieces in it for at least 1 1/2 hour.
- Transfer the mangoes (with water) to a pan and cook till they turn soft and syrup is reduced to half.
- In another pan, roast panch phoran spices and red chillies. Keep aside red chillies and pound rest of the spices to a coarse powder.
- Transfer the chutney to a serving plate and garnish with powdered panch phoran and red chillies.