Begun bhaja is a traditional bengali starter that is not only very common in every bengali house hold but also served with”bhog” during puja or festivals. Normally the large sized varieties, ones those are used to make baingan bharta are used for this recipe. Egg plants are marinated with different spices and deep fried in mustard oil. There are many variations to make these fritters. Some are cut thick, some thin, some are directly fried in oil after marination where as some are dipped in batter before throwing them into the oil. It tastes awesome with your regular dal – chawal and also makes a good combination with masala khichdi.
Preparation Time : 15 Minutes
Cooking Time : 15 Minutes
Serves : 5
- Brinjal 1 large, thin sliced length wise
- Turmeric Powder 1 1/4 tsp
- Chilli Powder 2 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Oil for marination and deep frying
- Maida 1/2 Cup
- Rice Flour 1/4 Cup
- Cornflour 1/4 Cup
- Nigella (Kalonji) 1/2 tsp
- Marinate the brinjal slices with 1 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp chilli powder, some salt and a table spoon full of mustard oil. Keep them aside for 15 – 20 minutes.
- In a deep bowl take maida, cornflour, rice flour, nigella and remaining turmeric, chilli powder, salt and some water to make a batter of little thin consistency (like that of dosa batter).
- Heat oil in a kadhai, dip each slice into the batter and deep fry. Fry one or two at a time and do not overcrowd.
- Once they turn golden brown, remove them on kitchen towel and serve immediately with hot steamed rice or khichdi. Fry just before serving as it doesn’t taste good if done in advance.