Chhole or chana masala is a very popular dish from punjabi cuisine. Chhole paneer is a recipe of traditional punjabi chhole with a paneer twist. Addition of paneer to this rich curry simply makes it out of the world. Chhole or chick pea aids in weight loss, stabilizes blood sugar levels and maintains a healthy heart. Paneer is rich in magnesium, potassium and protein.
Preparation Time: 8-10 hours
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Kabuli Chana 1 cup
- Paneer 100g
- Baking Soda 1/4 tsp
- Onion 1
- Garlic 7-8 cloves
- Ginger 1 1/2 inch
- Tomatoes 2, pureed
- Turmeric 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder 1 tbsp
- Chhole Masala 2 tsp
- Chilli Powder 1 tsp
- Chaat Masala 1/2 tsp
- Amchoor Powder 1/2 tsp
- Kalonji / Kala Jeera (nigella seeds) 1/2 tsp
- Bay Leaf 2
- Tea Laeves 1 tsp
- Black Cardomam 1
- Cloves 5-6
- Cinnamom (dalchini sticks) 2 inches
- Black Pepper 10-12
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Oil 4 tbsp
- Potato 1, boiled and mashed
- Wash and soak kabuli chana in enough water with a pinch of baking soda. Keep it fo 8-10 hours or overnight. Drain and wash again.
- Tie tea leaves and whole spices in a muslin cloth.
- In a pressure cooker, take chana, some salt, the muslin pouch and water just enough to cover the lentils.
- After first whistle, simmer the gas and cook for another 20-25 minutes. Once the pressure drops, strain and reserve the liquid for making the gravy.
- Take two tablespoon of oil and shallow fry paneer cubes. Soak them in hot salty water.
- In a blender, grind together onion, ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
- Add remaining oil in the pan add kala jeera and bay leaf. Saute and add onion -ginger-garlic paste.
- Once the raw aroma goes off, add turmeric, coriander and chilli powder.
- Add tomato puree and saute till oil starts to separate.
- Now add boiled chhole and chhole masala. Saute over low flame for few minutes.
- Add reserved liquid, two cups of water, mashed potato and salt. Bring them to boil.
- Add paneer, amchoor powder and chaat masala. Simmer and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from fire. Transfer in a serving bowl and garnish with some roundels of onion.