Gajar ka Halwa is a dessert associated mainly with the North India. It is eaten in most special occassions like parties and festivals. Is is served hot during the winter. Gajar ka Halwa contains grated carrots, milk, sugar and ghee. Khoya can also be added to make it more richer. Carrots are rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B8, pantothenic acid, folate, potassium, iron, copper and manganese.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 45 minutes
- Carrots (small and tender) 500 g, grated
- Milk 1 litre
- Khoya 1/2 cup (optional)
- Sugar 3/4 cup
- Elaichi, powdered 1/2 tsp
- Ghee 1/2 cup
- Dry Fruits, roasted to garnish
- Take milk in a heavy bottom deep vessel and bring to boil.
- Simmer and add grated carrots. Cook on low flame and keep stirring so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Once the milk is almost absorbed, add sugar. The mixture becomes gooey again. Cook for some more time till the moisture is absorbed completely. You can add khoya at this stage if using fat free milk.
- Now add ghee and dry fruits. Fry till you see bright red colour. Add ilaichi powder.
- Garnish with silver leaf and serve hot.