In this recipe, Karelas are first parboiled in 2 % salt and 1 % glacial acetic acid water solution, dried and then mixed with different spices. In the end, acetic acid is mixed with hot oil and poured over the pickle. Its a very travel friendly recipe and can be enjoyed with puris, parathas, phulkas and even rice.
Preparation Time: 8-10 hours
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Servings: 200 g
- Bitter Gourd 250 g, cut into small pieces
- Salt 16 g for blanching and
- Turmeric 2 g
- Red Chilli Powder 5 g
- Rai Dal 4 g
- Methi 2 g
- Hing 1 g
- Oil 100 ml
- Glacial Acetic Acid 8 ml for blanching and 1/4 tsp for using as preservative
- Heat 800 ml of water in a deep vessel and add salt and glacial acetic acid.
- Tie bitter gourd pieces in a thin cloth to make a pouch and drop it in the boiling water. Blanch for 3-4 minutes.
- Immediately transfer to a strainer, remove the cloth and wash them under running water to stop further cooking.
- Spread them on a dry cloth and let them dry for 8-10 hours.
- Heat 30 ml of oil and add hing.
- Add the remaining spices and fry them for few seconds.
- Add bitter gourd and fry for 3-4 minutes. In another pan heat the remaining oil, bring it to normal temperature and pour over the karelas.
- Add glacial acetic acid and pour over the karelas.
- Store in an air tight jar.