Aloo posto is a traditional bengali preparation where in potatoes are cooked with poppy seeds and green chillies. This recipe is subtly flavoured with salt, turmeric powder and is cooked in mustard oil. Potatoes are a very good source of Vitamin C and potassium. They also contain a variety of phytonutrients. Poppy seeds are a good source of minerals like iodine, calcium, iron and zinc. These seeds have a decent supply of fatty acids that are needed for the body’s physiological state.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Potatoes 4, medium
- Onion 1
- Poppy Seeds (Khuskhus) 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds 1/2 tsp
- Green Chillies 2, chopped
- Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
- Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp(optional)
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Oil 2 tbsp
- Soak poppy seeds for one hour in enough water and blend into paste.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadhai and add mustard. Let it crackle.
- Add potatoes, saute for a while and cover with a lid. Cook till potatoes take some colour.
- Add onions, turmeric and chilli powder. Fry for minute.
- Add two cups of water and salt. Bring to boil, lower the heat, cover and cook for another five minutes or till potatoes are done.
- Open the lid, add poppy seed paste and green chillies. Stir fry till the raw aroma goes off. Do not overdo.
- Cover with a lid for five to ten minutes so that it absorbs all the aroma of green chillies and poppy seeds. Serve hot with steamed rice.